fever 103

Rouze up! Set your foreheads against the ignorant Hirelings! — Wm. Blake

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Practical Entomology

Today started out as the suckiest day imaginable, but it's gotten better. I was pretty much guilt-tripped into coming into work this morning (today was to be my day off with Thom) because the new district manager wanted to come in and "certify" our cafe, and whoever made the schedule screwed up and scheduled too few people. So, I got up at 6:30, went in at 7:15, and left at 11:15. I had gotten four hours of sleep, was PMSing, hadn't had sex in a week, and was not very happy at all about being there. The plan was that the district manager was going to come at eight, certify the cafe, and be done by 9 or 9:30. Instead, she got there at 8:30, and didn't come down to the cafe until 11:15. Thankfully, my manager and good friend Jon saw that I was about to come unglued, so he let me go.

When I got home, I took a short nap, and woke up feeling like shit. I still do. I've got a toothache, slight fever, headache, body ache, etc. Most of which was simply brought on by psychological stress. I was talking to Thom about that today. I seem to be the only person I know who can get so physically sick over stress. It doesn't happen all the time, and it usually happens when I'm least expecting it, except for today. It's not like I make it up or anything, it's just that my body can only handle so much bullshit stress. There are certain types of stress that I never cave under, like school, for instance, but I think the cafe affects me at a deeper and much more harmful psychological level than school ever will.

At any rate, Thom has been really sweet. We went to lunch, came back here, rested for a bit. After that, I ordered a couple of books off of ABE, the Peterson guide to insects and a book called The Practical Entomologist. Later, went to his friend Rick's house, looked at laptops at Circut City, went to Whole Foods, and went home. There have been some cool insects around, and Thom has taken some great pictures of them. (I would, but I can't work our digital camera for shit.)



I like this washed-out ladybug. If there were ever a bug on the front of a My Bloody Valentine record, this would be it.

Just got this one tonight. I identified it on the first try as a lacewing (perhaps the lacy wings gave it away??) although that's the first one I've ever seen.

This little guy seems to be some sort of unidentified plant hopper. He was peering at Thom from the side of our computer desk.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home